Molds help in natural decomposition and play a role in breaking down and eliminating the dead organic matter. While these microbes have their place in the nature, they may not be welcomed in homes and business premises. If you have suffered water damage, you need to dry out the surfaces and other moist areas to prevent molds from invading your premises. Nonetheless, if a mold infestation has already occurred, you should make sure that you do proper mold remediation procedure to do away with these microbes.
Molds trapped in premises can be extremely dangerous. Toxic molds can cause health related problems and damage property. If you do not act in time, you will count the damage as each day passes. It is better to respond fast and remove the molds before further damage arises.
Molds live in damp and humid areas including the bathrooms, basements, kitchens, and crawlspaces. They can spread fast through the rest of the home causing big trouble. While it is impossible to avoid these microbes, you can reduce the chances of infestations by keeping your premises dry and free of moisture.
Causes of mold infestations
Molds will not survive in dry and well-ventilated areas where there is sufficient UV light from sunshine. However, if there is water damage, especially in areas such as basements, bathrooms, crawlspaces, and other poorly ventilated areas, you will experience growth of molds. In as little as two days, you may have them growing rapidly.
If you have extended moisture problem in your house, it is inevitable that molds will start growing. Water leaks from plumbing fixtures can cause the microbes to grow inside a house. If your home has flooded as may happen during the rainy season, you need to watch out for molds.
Condensation occurs on metal pipes and glass windows due to differences between the indoor temperatures and the outdoor temperatures. During window glass condensation, the favor forming on the glass will trickle and water droplets soak on the concretes or walls of the building. Soon you might have to deal with a mold infestation problem.
Signs of molds in a home
While you not see molds growing especially if they are in hidden locations, there are telltale signs that indicate the presence of these microbes. One sign is that the family or people in the premises begin to experience allergic symptoms. The common allergy reactions are sore eyes, sneezing, nasal congestion, and runny nose. These symptoms will subside when one gets out of the premises.
You should not ignore the smell of molds growing in your premises. If you cannot see molds and there are others signs of their presence, you could also detect them through smell. Visible mold is the obvious clue that the microbes are growing, but it may not be easy to notice small amount, since you might think it is just soot or some other form of dirt. Molds may appear as clusters of black, brown, green spots or even white and pink staining.
In removing molds, it is best to consult with a professional contractor since it requires use of the right skill, equipment, and caution in the removal. When the molds are disturbed, they can spread the spores in air and contaminate other surfaces or affect people. Protective clothing and equipment will ensure the technicians removing them are not harmed.
The rooms should be sealed so that spores do not spread to the rest of the areas. Doorways, vents, windows, and other opening should also be closed or covered. Surfaces that are being cleaned may need to be moist to prevent the spores from escaping into air. The technicians will use substances designed to kill molds ensuring that every area is treated properly to prevent a reinfestation from occurring.
Proper cleaning of the surfaces and materials is needed. HEPA vacuum equipment is used to extract the residual molds and spores. If there are materials that are heavily infested with molds, they are put in tightly sealed bags.
Carpets, books, drywalls, and other porous materials that have molds might need to be disposed depending on the level of invasion and the value of the items. After the cleaning of surfaces, the contents of the vacuum cleaner and other materials packed in bags are disposed of properly. Areas that have been affected should be dried properly so that no moisture pockets are left inside the house that could trigger a reinfestation.
If the removal procedure is not conducted by trained and experienced persons, it could result to cross contamination and spread of the spores to other areas or even the neighborhood. The spores can get into the air and through open spaces, they are blown to the outside. Such spores can affect other homes or houses within the premises.
Dealing with the cause of molds
If you are going to get rid of molds, you need to address the problem that is creating moisture in your premises. If it is flooding, you ought to prevent further water damage from occurring in future. Make sure you contact your local water damage restoration contractor like Restoration 1 of Portland to handle any water damage after it happens. Basement areas are prone to molds because they are located in areas below ground level.
The surfaces may be encapsulated using moisture proof material to prevent infiltration of water from the ground outside the building. Cracks on walls and foundations also should be repaired. If plumbing fixtures are causing moisture in premises, they are repaired to prevent leaks. Ventilation is one thing that is associated with molds growth.
If your home does not have sufficient ventilation, every time there is increased moisture, the humidity will rise and the home becomes dump. This provides the right environment for growth of molds. Depending on the cause of molds, the right corrective measures are applied in order to minimize their propagation in future.
Concisely, if you have mold infestation, you should refrain from disturbing the surfaces and contact technicians who are experienced in their removal. Professional mold removal is conducted by technicians who are experienced and knowledgeable about the growth and risks of molds. They do proper inspection and can identify areas that you might not even think they are infested. The damaged house is repaired to restore it in its original form.